Monday, February 10, 2014

Five days of red

I thought that since this week was valentines day, I would do a daily blog post on different things here at our house that's red. 
 Today's " red picture" is recipe I'd like to share with ya'll!
  It's called fruit swirl coffee cake. It's really yummy! This is the cookbook I got it from. The cookbook is old.It was my Mama's when I was a little girl. So I guess you could say it's a family heirloom.


If you have the book the recipe is on page 33. For those of you who don't here's the recipe.

                                       FRUIT SWIRL COFFEE CAKE
                              11/2 cups of sugar
                                 1/2 cup margarine or butter softened
                                  1/2 cup shortening 
                                  11/2 teaspoons baking powder
                              1 teaspoon vanilla 
                               1 teaspoon almond extract
                               4 eggs
                                3 cups all purpose flour
                               1 can (21,0z) cherry pie filling or your choice ( I used cherry just because I wanted it to be red for today)
                               Glaze ( below)
Heat oven to 350 . Grease jelly roll pan, ( I used my pampered chef large bar pan)  beat sugar margarine, shortening,baking powder,vanilla,almond extract,and eggs in large mixing bowl on low speed, scraping bowl constantly , until blended. Beat on high speed scraping bowl occasionally 3 minutes.Stir in flour. Spread 2/3 of batter in pan spread pie filling over batter. Drop remaining batter by Tablesoonfuls ( I used a cookie scoop for this step) onto pie filling.
Bake until light brown, around 45 minutes. Drizzle with Glaze while warm. Cut cake into squares. Ummm! Good!
                              FOR THE GLAZE
 Beat 1 cup powdered sugar  and 1 to 2 TBsp. Of whipping cream. Add 1 teaspoon of vanilla and 1/2 teaspoon of butter flavoring , mix until smooth. Put into sandwich bag, snipping the end drizzle over warm cake.

 Tomorrow I be blogging red outfits worn by Angel and Katherine.☺️

3 comments: